Re: GNU toolchain working in other directories ?

>> >   > Is it possible to make it work in any
>> >   > directory with just changing some environment variables ?
>> >   > Thanks
>> > GCC_EXEC_PREFIX
>>
>> For those who use this technique.  How do you avoid conflict
>> with any number of GNU compilers that you might also use
>> in the same environment?  i.e. The native GNU C compiler will
>> also use this environment variable.
>
> How can there be conflicts? The native GCC/G++-drivers are named as 'gcc/g++',
>the cross-tools as '<target>-gcc/<target>-g++' (or something else -- I use the
>names like 'gcc-m68k-coff'...), and the target binaries, libs and headers are
>behind the '../../<target>' and '<target>' from GCC_EXEC_PREFIX... Handling the
>native host just as a one target more, will put it into the same hierarchy...

Conflicts arise when the various GNU distributions are installed into
DIFFERENT hierarchies.  Thus their GCC_EXEC_PREFIX settings must be
different.

> I have repeated the advice to use the option '-print-search-dirs' in
>'gnu.gcc.help etc., to see the search paths for a GCC, but still the option is
>mostly unknown to all GCC users... Perhaps all the list members should take
>this as a 'mantra' and try to mention it everywhere... "How many times...the
>answer is flying in the wind..."

Yes I know about the '-print-search-dirs' option.  That is exactly what I used
to confirm the conflict between the GCC_EXEC_PREFIX settings.

Thanks,
Franklin

 Franklin Hooker, Director, Software Tools Development
 Lexra, Inc.  www.lexra.com   Phone:(781)899-5799 x812
 franklin@lexra.com             Fax:(781)899-5769