Re: gdb-4.17 building question.

   Date: Sat, 03 Jul 1999 00:33:27 +0200
   From: Wojtek Zielinski <wzielins@kki.net.pl>

   I am a newbie in crossgcc. My target is  683xx, I built gcc, newlib,
   binutils
   and gdb according to the FAQ. My host is PC, system is linux redhat 6.0
   distribution.
   I have small problems while building gdb-4.17. First I patched it with
   gdb-4.17-bdm-patch.
   Configuring of bdm was ok. But during compiling, compiler couldn't find
   file "termcap.h", called by gdb-4.17/readline/rldefs.h.
   I found it in /usr/include/ncurses subdirectory and I linked it to
   /usr/include dir. Is it right header?
   Then compilation was succeed, but, of course, linking not. Linker
   complained about libtermcap.
   I couldn't find this lib in my system. But I did a trick, doing a link
   to libncurses.a. after that,
   linking process succeed.

   I have 2 questions:
   1) Am I right with these tricks?

Yes, you've discovered the plausible workarounds.

   2) Is it a problem with
   - gdb makefile,
   - ncurses installation procedure or
   - lack of some packages in my system?

4.17 is now too old to work out-of-the-box with RH 6.0.  You shouldn't
see these problems with 4.18; it's using an up-to-date readline library
whose configury knows about ncurses and such.

								Stan