Re: i386 ABI ??

Sathish Vasudevaiah <sv@sony.co.in> wrote:

> What is the ABI used by the GCC when we specify
> i386-elf as the target ??

 The i386-elf 'ABI' (calling conventions etc.) follows quite
well the SVR4 ABI. The "SYSTEM V APPLICATION BINARY INTERFACE,
Intel386 Architecture Processor Supplement", Fourth Edition,
available via 'http://www.sco.com/developer/devspecs' as a PDF
document (377 pages) may be useful...

 Typically one must implement the low-level I/O-routines for a
system, the Cygnus newlib docs will tell more about this...

 BTW, a prebuilt egcs-1.1.2 based, Win32-hosted, and i386-elf targeted toolset
is now available via 'http://www.nettilinja.fi/~ankosken/embtools.htm'. The
toolset has the support for '-msoft-float' too (for all those 386/486
microcontrollers without a FPU), implemented with GCC's own routines in
libgcc.a.

Regards, Kai