Re: cross-compile from Unix to WIN32

> Aldo Mazzilli <aldo.mazzilli@inria.fr> writes:
> > Hello,
> > I am Aldo MAZZILLI from INRIA Rhone-Alpes (FRANCE), I am working on a
> > project dealing with porting of a Unix code to
> > win 95 and NT. For that one of the solutions is to generate a
> > WIN32API executable program from a Unix platform.
> > Can you help me with some informations.
> > I would like to know which is the latest tool i should download and what
> > are its accessories that should be downloaded for the successful
> > cross-compiling
>
> Again, DO NOT use gcc-2.8.1. Use egcs-1.1, plus my patches, or better yet,
> use the source tree distributed with Cygnus Cygwin Beta-20 (which includes
> all my changes plus some more). For my egcs-1.1 patches:
>
>   ftp://ftp.xraylith.wisc.edu/pub/khan/gnu-win32/cygwin32/egcs-1.1/patches/
>   http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/

 Can we find somewhere only the Cygwin b20 libs & headers and patches for
cygwin32 b20 host / target?

 A cross-compiler maker doesn't need the Unix-tools with the b20 distribution
and can have problems to find a system where unpack the InstallShield package.
Ok, just someone show me how to unpack it under Linux...

 It's not only cygwin32, but also NetBSD and FreeBSD, which doesn't have the
system headers and libs easily available for a cross-compiler maker. Linux has
had its C-library distributions as easy-to-unpack '.tar.gz' or '.bz2' formats,
but for some stupid reason the RH-version dependent RedHat-packages have became
very common (How to unpack RH5.1-packages under RH4.2 ?)

> And for Cygwin b20, see:
>   http://www.cygnus.com/

 I was really annoued when the +12 M download was stopped by Win95
automatically disconnecting the phone line after 7.9 M because of
'non-activity' (it was left alone to do the over 1 hour job...).
Ok, I could 'split' the stuff already got to 1280000 byte chunks,
download the missing 'xag - xaj' parts and combine them under Linux.

 Shame on these 'closed systems' with proprietary package formats and
trying to put the user to install the whole system (Cygwin32, FreeBSD,
NetBSD) in order to get their libs & headers!

 So, please someone make a 'crxcygwin32.tar.gz' for Cross-GCC makers.
Perhaps a Linux-to-cygwin32-egcs-1.1 could be put to some Linux or Win32
archive... FreeBSD-to-cygwin32 and NetBSD-to-cygwin32 too...

 BTW, I got the NetBSD libs & headers in a 7 M package with native compiler
binaries, and got then a Linux-to-NetBSD cross-compiler easily, but perhaps
I need to install FreeBSD first to get its libs & headers... Any clues
where to find these?

 Thanks to DJ for keeping a cross-kit for DJGPP available!

 Regards, Kai
To get help for the crossgcc list, send mail to
crossgcc-request@cygnus.com with the text 'help'
(without the quotes) in the body of the message.