Re: egcs-1.1b or gcc-2.8.1 for powerpc cross-compiler ?

I too have run into this problem.  As I recall,
when the binaries are installed in a different
location from where they are configured the
path compiled into gcc with "--prefix==/path"
doesn't work.  In that case I believe that gcc
will run the preprocessor, assembler, and linker
without an absolute path.  I have also tried the
same workaround that Vaughan suggested and it worked
for me.  I finally fixed this problem by running
configure with the expected path and recompiling the
distribution.  There are also environment variables
that can be defined to relocate the distribution.
This approach turned out to be a little problematic
for me though.  Not the least of the problems is
that the environment variables intended to relocate
the cross-compiler had the same affect on the
native gcc compiler that I sometimes use.

I can't say that I know what "the real fix"
is either. :)

Franklin

> Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 05:26:01 -0800 (PST)
> From: Vaughan Hillman <hillman_97@yahoo.com>
> Sender: owner-crossgcc@cygnus.com
>
> I had this same problem.  I believe I had to set my path so that the
> gas(as - gnu assembler) path  was first in my path.  Otherwise it
> seemed that xgcc (intermediate compiler) was calling gas(as) from my
> /usr/bin.
>
> What the real fix is I dont know. :)
>
> Vaughan

 Franklin Hooker, Director, Software Tools Development
 Lexra, Inc.  www.lexra.com   Phone:(781)899-5799 x812
 franklin@lexra.com             Fax:(781)899-5769

To get help for the crossgcc list, send mail to
crossgcc-request@cygnus.com with the text 'help'
(without the quotes) in the body of the message.