Re: egcs-1.1b or gcc-2.8.1 for powerpc cross-compiler ? boundary

Brendan wrote:

> I am trying to compile a powerpc cross compiler for the MPC860.
> Am I better off using egcs-1.1b or gcc-2.8.1 ?
> I assume egcs is a better compiler (especially for C++) but is gcc more
> stable ?
> I also assume that egcs has better powerpc support but it is just a
> guess.

 The egcs-1.1b has all the PPC updates that gcc-2.8.1-980929
(ftp://vger.rutgers.edu/pub/gcc/ss-980929.tar.gz) have and more...
The stability should be equal... Nothing disables you to build them
both, disk space isn't so expensive any more... Just install the gcc
drivers to different names. I suggest using 'gcc-ppc-eabi' and 'egcs-ppc-eabi'.
Or 'ppc-eabi-gcc' and 'ppc-eabi-egcs'... Binutils, assembler and linker can be
common, but if you want to keep the 'c++filt', 'gcov' and '*protoize' for both,
using the '-e' postfix for the egcs ones, like 'ppc-eabi-gcov-e' or something,
must be done...

> I've tried the following targets for a linux hosted powerpc cross
> compiler.
> --target=ppc-elf
> --target=ppc-eabi
>
> I got errors so I thought I'd try --target=m68k-coff as it is pretty
> mature.  The same errors.
> ppc-eabi gives"as: unrecognized option `-ppc'"
> m68k-coff gives "as: unrecogized option -a68020" or something simialr.
>
> Is it using the correct assembler.  Maybe its using the native linux
> i386 assembler ??

 It uses the wrong assembler. There are the '-print-*' options in GCC to
debug the installation. Checking that your assembler is installed so
that your 'xgcc' finds the right one, can be done with the:
	./xgcc -print-prog-name=as
like:
	C:\users\default>gcc-ppc-eabi -print-prog-name=as
	/usr/local/ppc-eabi/bin/as.exe

 It found the right one here...

 Using the option '-print-search-dirs' is a normal routine operation after
GCC installation, to see that everything looks O.K. This shows the search
paths for programs (cpp, cc1, as, ld), start-ups and libraries.

Cheers,  Kai

To get help for the crossgcc list, send mail to
crossgcc-request@cygnus.com with the text 'help'
(without the quotes) in the body of the message.