m68k embedded in Sun sparc workstation

I'm trying to build a cross GDB that can access a m68k processor (actually an
MC68360) plugged into the SBUS of a sparc workstation.  I've got the memory
mapped "serial" connection working to an onboard monitor; the monitor strings
to match the onboard monitor are also mostly set up.

I'm now in the process of debugging the connection and getting a watchdog timer
expiration while bringing up the target.  After looking around in the sources
it seems that this could be a fairly big job ... to get everything working
correctly, that is.

Anyone on the list effectively done one of these?  How hard is it to get
something like this working?  I don't want to pour another week into something
that is not going to work very well!  As usual I seem to have misjudged the
effort!

If you need more details to answer, please ask.

thanks

ernie