Re: gdb remote stubs

On Wed, 4 Feb 1998, Jerry Hicks wrote:

> Joel Sherrill wrote:
> [snips]
> > I was looking because there has been a "bare pc" BSP submitted for RTEMS
> > and I was hoping to have a standard gdb stub to include with it.  I can't
> > believe that the people developed it with as little debug support as he
> > had.
>

> Believe it!  There are quite a few developers out here suffering like this...
>
> I'm currently trying to learn enough to write such a stub.  Any pointers?

Other than whatever source and documentation is included with gdb, I do
not know of anything.  gdb 4.16 has remote stubs for i386, m68k, and the
sparc.  The last gdb snapshot I looked at also included stubs for the sh
and m32r.  It also included support for a much wider variety of ROM
monitors.

FYI it was announced on the egcs list that gdb 4.17 was very close and
that feedback on the snapshots in ftp.cygnus.com:/private/gdb was
appreciated.  See http://www.cygnus.com/ml/egcs/1998-Jan/0998.html for the
annoucement.

The pc stub over a com port should not be THAT difficult.  There is
already an i386 stub included in the current gdb so it should be a matter
of doing the IO and integrating it.  Then give the world instructions and
the code. :)

Providing a stub for CPUs like the PowerPC would be more challenging but
the protocol is well-defined and starting with an example for a cpu you
understand would help.  I suspect many folks would start with the m68k or
i386. :)

I hope this helps.

--joel
Joel Sherrill                    Director of Research & Development
   Support Available             (205) 722-9985