Re: FW: Results of "downloading compressed program images" request

>    Alec> It seems to me that the publication of good hardware designs
>    Alec> is as much a public good as the publication of good software
>    Alec> design. If a designer has a greater library of proven
>    Alec> solutions at his fingertips, he can create better
>    Alec> producs. He has to spend less time reinventing the wheel.
>
>    Alec> By insisting on GPL/GPLL for hardware designs, the FSF is
>    Alec> promoting (to the best of it's limited ability) the approach
>    Alec> of the originator loosing a small potential monopoly profit
>    Alec> in order to achieve a much greater public benefit into the
>    Alec> hardware arena. It seems to me exactly in accordance with
>    Alec> the FSF philosopy and aims that it should do so. The
>    Alec> benefits, however large or small they may be, to those who
>    Alec> chose to take the proprietary path, are no concern to the
>    Alec> FSF.
>
>I missed something.  Where does the FSF "insist" on GPL for *HARDWARE*
>designs?  (see below...)

Sorry, not very good context. Someone complained that using GNU software
required them to publish all their source code, include the parts
driving their proprietary hardware, thus revealing at least part of the
hardware design. My point is that, insofaras this is true, it is
entirely in accord with FSF aims. Whilst not central to the main thrust
of FSF, it is a strong argument (were any needed) against the GNU
license being relaxed in any way for embedded software.

--
Alec Cawley
Newbury