Re: Results of "downloading compressed program images" request

>At 12:12 PM 1/23/98 -0500, you wrote:
>>>At 12:29 PM 1/22/98 -0500, you wrote:
>>>I understand now. The opinions you expressed only pertain to the GPL
>>>discussion. That's clear. Please ignore my earlier posts. They were made
>>>before I understood what you said in this message.
>>
>>Hmm, I think that was my first post on this thread, so maybe you
>>were thinking of someone else.  But I don't recall the threadlet
>>involving anything *except* the GPL and the challenges it poses
>>to embedded software.
>
>Several statements in this discussion (not necessaraly by you) were made
>that did not sound like they were intended to be limited to the context of
>GPL software, e.g. "Privilege is keeping others down" or "I have little
>sympathy with someone who wants to keep hardware specs secret merely so as
>to beat out someone else'. I did not take these statements to be limited to
>the context of GPL software.

Okay, yeah, I can't figure out the comment about privilege anyway,
though I guess in some context by some definition it might be true.
(To me, it's a privilege to serve God.  That has nothing to do
with keeping others down, since I don't consider it to be something
exclusive to me or any given group of people.  Probably a bad
example in this context, though.)

I think the statement about "having little sympathy" was rms explaining
why *he* didn't care much about conflicts between the GPL and
embedded.  Sometimes context gets lost, though.  At the time I
responded, I thought the context was obvious from the email rms
sent containing the comment, but I haven't reviewed that, because
it seems unimportant now.

>Sorry, for the confusion.

'salright.

        tq vm, (burley)