RE: Results of "downloading compressed program images" request

At 10:39 AM 1/23/98 -0500, you wrote:

>I think you miss the point in the US PTO.  It is not to be "social"
>about trade secrets, but rather to protect intellectual property that is
>otherwise too easy to copy.  In the case of software, copyright will do
>just fine.

I don't understand Richard's point. But the purpose of Patents is both to
provide protection to the inventor's economic interests while at the same
time making the information freely available (social benifit). After 21
years (I believe) anyone is free to use it as well.

Rick Collins

Rick Collins  Email: redsp@writeme.com
re:DSP, A Signal Processing Solutions Company
P.O. Box 1253
Warrenton, VA 20188-1253
540-349-9606
Web Page: http://www.angelfire.com/biz/redsp/