cross linker for irix 5.3

I am trying to build a cross-compiler for an sgi irix 5.3 target.

The cross-compiler built okay (solaris 2.5 -> irix 5.3) but I can't
build the binutils cross-linker.  When I run configure on the binutils
it tells me that everything will be built except 'ld'.

I have an origin 200 running irix 6.4, so I though I would build a
native linker on the irix 5.3 box that I could then run on my irix 6.4
box to actually link the irix 5.3 binaries.  This didn't work either.
Configure told me the same thing -- it could build everything except
the linker.

Am I out of luck?  Is there no way to build a linker for an irix 5.3
box, native or otherwise?  Is there any way to link with the irix 6.4
linker?

Thanks,

    ...Tyler

| Tyler Sims                      |  Realcase Software Research Corp.  |
| Research Software Engineer      |  Suite 490, 800-6th Ave. S.W.      |
|                                 |  Calgary, Alberta, Canada          |
| Work: (403) 264-9717            |  T2P 3G3                           |
| Fax:  (403) 252-5615            |                                    |
| Email: sims@realcase.com        |  "Our goal is perfection.          |
|                                 |   Excellence will be tolerated."   |