Re: Coldfile compiler internal errors

On Mon, 18 Aug 1997, Frank Suraci wrote:

> 1) We have purchased the Motorola Coldfire evaluation board. It is
> currently setup to do TFTP program loads over our network.
>
> 2) We obtained gcc-m68k from d.j.fiddes. Installed on our WinNT
> machine, it works. Ran 'makefile', successfully compiled, down loaded
> and ran all the "example" programs, eg hello.x, dhry.x, siminfo.x,
> timer.x, etc.
>
> 3) We have a small piece of code, about 3k lines altogether, called
> 'edwin' that successfully compiles, links and runs under Linux using
> gcc.
>
> 4) Modified 'makefile' to run on WinNT.
>
> So far, so good.
>
> Problem:
>
> When I run the makefile I get an error on the first source module
> that reads as follows:
>
> m68k-coff-gcc -m5200 -O2 -ansi -o ./m_lnx/dialog.o dialog.c
> dialog.c: In function 'dw_dialog':
> dialog.c:352: Internal error--insn does not satisfy its constraints:
> (insn 659 329 331 (set (reg: QI 4 %d4)
>                (Reg: QI a% a1)) 48{movstrictqi-1} (nil)
>    (nil))
> make: ***[m_lnx/dialog.o] error 1
>
> 2) I played around with various options and the dialog.c source. The
> only thing to materially change the situation is to remove the -m5200
> option. I still get some compiler errors, but no internal errors.
>
> Any ideas?

I think youwill be interested in egcs.  It is an effort to make the gcc
development process more open to the public.  Anyone can get egcs
snapshots so you can see if this problem has been fixed since the gcc
source code you are using.  Here are some introductory pointers:

   How to join: send mail to egcs-request at cygnus.com.  That list is
   under majordomo.

   We have a web page that describes the various mailing lists and has
   this information at: http://www.cygnus.com/egcs.

--joel
Joel Sherrill                    Director of Research & Development
   Support Available             (205) 722-9985