Re: PowerPC 403 cross

On Wed, 16 Apr 1997, root wrote:

> 	I have been working recently on compiling C programs using gcc
> (target: powerpc-elf32), and was interested if anyone had some
> information specific to the PPC403 when using gcc.  I am unsure as to
> which registers are used for what, and any compiler flags I need to use.
> Currently I use flags: -mcpu=403, -D_BIG_ENDIAN.  I have figured out that
> r1 appears to used as a stack pointer of sorts, but as far as which
> registers are used for scratch, how parameters are passed, etc. I am in
> the dark.

I am not the expert on this but for good examples you might want to look
at psim (powerpc simulator for 603) and rtems (includes board support
package for the 403).  There is a lot of good powerpc info in psim and
lots of example code in the test suite.  RTEMS includes drivers for the
on-chip peripherals.

Someone else will have to point you to documentation on the calling
conventions but I think there is a link from Michael Meissner's home page
(also points to psim) which you should be able to find starting at
www.cygnus.com.

--joel
Joel Sherrill                    Sr. Computer Scientist
   Support Available             (205) 722-9985