Cross to m68k question

I have read FAQ-0.7 and attempted to follow directions therein.  I am
using:

gcc-2.7.2.2	(symbolic link gcc-2.7.2 pointing here for patch below)
crossgcc-gcc-2.7.2.patch
newlib-1.7.0
binutils-2.7 (symlink from binutils-2.6 pointing here for script below)
one-tree-1.2.sh

../src/configure --host=i386-unknown-linux --target=m68k-coff \
                 --prefix=/xtra/gbld -v

Background:  I first built a host=linux, target=go32 cross-compiler, with
no problems.  Now I'm trying to add an m68k cross.  I did not re-run
one-tree (didn't seem necessary), and I originally tried a build directory
with name other than 'build' (wasn't sure about that since 'build' had
intermediate files for the go32 cross).  Anyway, when that didn't work
shuffled things around and tried it as 'build' still no luck.

The specific problem is when trying to build newlib.  In the m68k-coff
directory there are the following directories:
libiberty/    m68000/       m68020/       m68881/       msoft-float/
newlib/

Make complains about no config.status in the newlib directory.  It looks
like it should somehow be pointing at various newlib directories that
exist under the m68xxx directories.

What have I missed?  Surely it is something obvious, I know many have
built m68k cross-compilers with no problems....

thanks,
bob
Bob Robison	       Southwest Research Institute,http://www.swri.org
Principal Engineer           Signal Exploitation & Geolocation Division
brobison@swri.org                 Phone:(210)522-3935/Fax:(210)522-2709