From: Frank Ch. Eigler [mailto:fche@redhat.com]
Sent: Thu 3/16/2006 8:30 AM
To: Lindley, Robert A
Cc: cgen@sourceware.org
Subject: Re: How do I run CGEN?

Hi -

> [...] Can't find anything that gives a top level discussion of how
> to accomplish the series of tasks that define a processor to making
> a new as and ld. [...]  I need to define a unique (MECA-43)
> processor and can't get started.

Despite the documentation, most cgen users tend to run it in batch
mode only.  A new port is typically done by replicating an existing
port with a new name throughout source tree, making that build, then
modifying it to represent the actual target CPU.

An old thread gives an outline of the other (cgen-unassisted) parts of
binutils porting: http://sourceware.org/ml/cgen/2003-q4/msg00014.html

- FChE