Re: Maintainer mode

Doug Evans writes:

 >  > The advantages here are obvious: you need not remember an extra option
 >  > to `configure' and it works more obviously.

 > I recognize the reasons why one would want to do this.
 > I didn't do this because it carries extra burdens I wasn't prepared
 > to dump on binutils/gdb people.

This burden only exists when the modification times of the .cpu files
is newer than the generated files.  The same burden could be said for
people building GCC and requiring Bison because a source distribution
has generated C files that are older than the `.y' file.  If it is
carefully managed, I don't think this will affect anyone.  Do you
agree?

Ben