Re: Using the vcs_to_changelog.py script

> Cc: binutils@sourceware.org, gdb-patches@sourceware.org
> From: Simon Marchi <simon.marchi@polymtl.ca>
> Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2020 09:19:28 -0500
>
> >  . Some files in our tree are neither C++ nor C: there are Python
> >    files, Guile files, shell scripts, and Texinfo files, to mention
> >    just a few: what to do about them?
>
> I presume glibc is in the same situation... The script just says that
> the file is modified.

So for those other languages, the author of the changeset will have to
write the entries by hand?  Or are tyou suggesting omitting them
altogether and staying with file names alone?  (The latter would be
somewhat boring for the GDB manual, since almost all of it is in a
single file...)

> If we wanted to get more details for them, we would have to
> implement new parsers to figure out what changed between two
> revisions.

Is that practical?

> >  . Last, but not least: we'd need detailed instructions for how to
> >    produce the commit log messages under this regime, because the old
> >    conventions will not be valid anymore.
>
> What are you specifically referring to?  For GDB, I don't really see what
> would need to change.  We already enforce having detailed commit logs that
> explain:
>
> - the rationale for the change
> - technical details about the fix, if not trivial
>
> So the only difference is that we would not provide a manual ChangeLog entry.

And replace that part with nothing?  I thought something will have to
be done instead, to have the log messages be as informative as they
are now.