Re: Prefer object over notype symbols when disassembling

On Tue, Dec 17, 2019 at 08:45:59PM +1030, Alan Modra wrote:
> Changing objdump disassembly output like this always requires some
> testsuite changes, with the avr and x64_64 changes simply due to

"x86_64"

> picking up better symbols, the whole point of the patch.
>
> The mips changes are due to mips-sgi-irix changing STT_NOTYPE symbols
> to STT_OBJECT, which objdump now chooses in preference to script
> symbols.  The problem is that objdump looks at the first symbol in the
> section being disassembled, and if object type, just dumps out bytes
> rather than disassembling.  This results in new failures:

Yeah, exactly. So I have no clue how long you guys do objdump testing
but considering this fix might cause some grief due to the symbols
ordering change, it might be prudent to expose it to testers a lot
longer...

Just a thought anyway.

Thanks for the fix!

--
Regards/Gruss,
    Boris.

SUSE Software Solutions Germany GmbH, GF: Felix Imendörffer, HRB 36809, AG Nürnberg