Re: Should strip discard the .ctf section ?

Hi,

On Mon, 7 Oct 2019, Nick Alcock wrote:

> > again, it looks to me like inflexibilities in the way RPM operates may
> > be swaying your choices.
>
> I will admit that the knowledge that at least one package manager exists
> that does not let you modify strip arguments *is* influential. That it
> is a major one is significant, too.

No idea how RPM came up in this context.  It's using scripts to do all
post processing and those could be changed quite easily of course.  IMO
it's more about users of binutils outside of package managers that are
affected by default strip behaviour.

It all comes down to one question: how should strip be told to not strip
.ctf? (a) via command line option, or (b) via existence of .ctf?  Both are
equivalent, because existence of .ctf implies a command line option to the
compiler, ergo an explicit request by the user.  Requiring a separate
command line option for strip in addition seems just pointless.

Ciao,
Michael.