Re: Should strip discard the .ctf section ?

On 2019-10-02, Nick Alcock wrote:
On 2 Oct 2019, Nick Clifton said:

Hi Nick,

The section is basically useless if strip removes it, so I'd vote no.
(That's the entire reason for the focus on size in CTF.)

Ok, well I will shelve the idea for now.  But it may have to be revisited
if we start to get complaints/bug-reports from users.

If they're complaining, I need to make CTF smaller :P (plans are afoot:
it is expected to shrink :) ).

But yes, if they want literally no growth@all... one wonders if they
can ever upgrade anything ever, but still. :)

I'd vote for yes. Don't invent more customized rules for
--strip-debug/--strip-all. Just let them do natural things that meet
users' intuition.

Add a generic --keep-section option and let user specify
--keep-section=.ctf if .ctf is to be retained. See
https://llvm.org/docs/CommandGuide/llvm-objcopy.html#cmdoption-llvm-objcopy-keep-section

What sections are stripped and what are not are pretty complicated now.
FWIW, in llvm-objcopy, --strip-all-gnu is a separate option because
developers find --strip-all is a misnomer, so --strip-all does what they
think intuitive, while --strip-all-gnu is for binutils compatibility.
See http://reviews.llvm.org/rL319071.  (courtesy of GCC/LLVM
Collaboration BoF)