Redefining dynamic symbols

Hi!

As far as I know, redefining dynamic symbols (in .so files: "ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, not stripped") can't be done with the tools in binutils (for example using "objcopy --redefine-sym ..." directly or in combination with other binutil tools).

Is this limitation documented somewhere? If not, can someone who's been involved in the development please shed some light on this? Am I correct in my assumption that it can't be done?

Bonus for giving some hints of the obstacles one would face trying to implement this feature :-)

Kind regards,
Ted Lyngmo