Re: Does the LD --wrap feature work for library internal references?

On Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 10:40:56AM +0100, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> On 10/01/2019 20:04, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> >

> > On Thu, Jan 10, 2019, 8:05 AM Alan Modra <amodra@gmail.com
> > <mailto:amodra@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >     On Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 02:48:16PM +0100, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> >     > So this wrapping works only across object files and not
> >     > for references inside an object file.
> >
> >     Yes.  If a reference is to a function defined in the same file you
> >     don't have an undefined symbol for the given function in that file.
> >

> > And per function section compilation and linking have no impact on that?

No, -ffunction-sections will make no difference.  Really, --wrap was
intended for wrapping system functions, which I guess is why the
feature was implemented only for undefined symbols.  I don't see a
fundamental reason why --wrap couldn't be made to work with defined
symbols, provided the compiler and assembler don't optimise references
to local functions.

--
Alan Modra
Australia Development Lab, IBM