Questions about upstreaming a new port [MRISC32]

Hello all!

As part of my hobby CPU project (called MRISC32) I have made an initial port of binutils for the CPU.

Currently I'm fine with keeping the port as a patch series in a personal Git repository (that I keep rebasing on top of the latest version of binutils). However...

What are the requirements for getting a port upstreamed? (I can understand that a CPU architecture may be out of scope for mainline binutils if it's not a "popular CPU", but I'm still interested in knowing what you think)