This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: RFC: Add PT_GNU_PROPERTY to cover .note.gnu.property section
- From: Szabolcs Nagy <Szabolcs dot Nagy at arm dot com>
- To: Mark Wielaard <mark at klomp dot org>, Cary Coutant <ccoutant at gmail dot com>
- Cc: nd <nd at arm dot com>, "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>, Florian Weimer <fweimer at redhat dot com>, Binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>, GNU C Library <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>, "gnu-gabi at sourceware dot org" <gnu-gabi at sourceware dot org>, x86-64-abi <x86-64-abi at googlegroups dot com>
- Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2018 12:21:33 +0000
- Subject: Re: RFC: Add PT_GNU_PROPERTY to cover .note.gnu.property section
- References: <email@example.com> <CAMe9rOq6AgykBthApfHsFgbTHM9LjocDP-DNjB=Dht5uOagT7g@mail.gmail.com> <CAJimCsEDCNWBZsMEMeco0Vkj03iXML08KpLvAxC3DtyzXq8abA@mail.gmail.com> <CAMe9rOqHfqfbu_V1bPgykyN352btS8eZpRm-HAwJDfTf_Fiy-Q@mail.gmail.com> <CAMe9rOp7C_HS4cg-GcHH6NhT5oP-BxzE9emc6+Szx_-mAvxONw@mail.gmail.com> <CAMe9rOq4viqCYVXuVbyzTY0R0XVxzjc_tis9Uxw9OmgZRYcOjA@mail.gmail.com> <CAMe9rOp724pNQhndd8_-bVOS=42=0a4Ajsmgi2LUzA1P2BeWvw@mail.gmail.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <20181211131933.GA9599@gmail.com> <CAJimCsGvEf5PF81n_-=M78UX81UY_stg_6_wMmYsM_kczOh3email@example.com> <20181212104449.GB62340@wildebeest.org>
On 12/12/2018 10:44, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> Also I thought there was still a question whether any or all
> newly proposed property features and flags are actually needed
> as loadable segments. There is a clear overlap with the GNU
> Attributes (which are non-loadable). I would like to see consensus
> first on the new property format/flags and which are and which
> aren't needed as loadable properties at runtime.
i think the list of properties that are needed at
runtime can be decided independently, since the
point of the property mechanism is to be extensible
and useful for future features.
i think it is clear that there are at least some
properties that elf loaders will need to check at
runtime, so we do need such a mechanism. (e.g.
PT_GNU_STACK is an existing example that could have
been implemented as a property).