Re: [0/4] C-SKY port V2

On Sun, May 27, 2018 at 04:11:22PM -0600, Sandra Loosemore wrote:
> On 05/27/2018 09:09 AM, Alan Modra wrote:
> > On Sat, May 26, 2018 at 04:06:32PM -0600, Sandra Loosemore wrote:
> > > This is a reposting of C-SKY patch set, hopefully with all the whitespace
> > > errors and GCC 8 compiler diagnostics fixed this time.
> >
> > There are still a few whitespace errors reported by git, and not just
> > ones that you must add to match test output.
>
> Grrr.  Is there a regexp I can use to grep the patches for these whitespace
> problems, instead of having to manually scan 28K lines of git diff output
> for red blobs?

If you apply the patches you posted to a clean repo with the
.git/config setting I gave in an earlier email you should see something
like the following.  /tmp/csky is a mailbox containing your posted
emails, including the covering note, which is why I needed to skip the
first patch.  The patch line numbers will tell you where you have a
problem.  I'm not hugely concerned about any of these and would
normally just fix them myself if I commit the patch set, or just
ignore them.

alan@bubble:~/src/binutils-gdb$ git am /tmp/csky
Patch is empty.
When you have resolved this problem, run "git am --continue".
If you prefer to skip this patch, run "git am --skip" instead.
To restore the original branch and stop patching, run "git am --abort".
alan@bubble:~/src/binutils-gdb$ git am --skip
Applying: C-SKY port V2: BFD and ELF support
.git/rebase-apply/patch:373: new blank line at EOF.
+
warning: 1 line adds whitespace errors.
Applying: C-SKY port V2: Opcodes library
Applying: C-SKY port V2: Assembler
.git/rebase-apply/patch:7950: trailing whitespace.
# Test ck801 jbf/jbt branch relaxation.
.git/rebase-apply/patch:7998: new blank line at EOF.
+
.git/rebase-apply/patch:8311: new blank line at EOF.
+
.git/rebase-apply/patch:8340: new blank line at EOF.
+
.git/rebase-apply/patch:9752: new blank line at EOF.
+
warning: squelched 3 whitespace errors
warning: 8 lines add whitespace errors.
Applying: C-SKY port V2: Linker
.git/rebase-apply/patch:1309: indent with spaces.
                  .*
.git/rebase-apply/patch:1311: indent with spaces.
                  .*
.git/rebase-apply/patch:1363: indent with spaces.
                  .*
.git/rebase-apply/patch:1365: indent with spaces.
                  .*
.git/rebase-apply/patch:117: new blank line at EOF.
+
warning: squelched 2 whitespace errors
warning: 7 lines add whitespace errors.

> > Also, an --enable-targets=all build on x86_64-linux gives
> > ../opcodes/.libs/libopcodes.a(disassemble.o): In function `disassembler':
> > /home/alan/src/binutils-gdb/opcodes/disassemble.c:170: undefined reference to `csky_get_disassembler'
> > Fix it by adding csky-dis.c to TARGET_LIBOPCODES_CFILES in
> > opcodes/Makefile.am.
> >
> > Please also compile your code on a 32-bit host (or with -m32 on x86_64
> > say).  This patch doesn't compile due to a number of bugs.  Also
> > compile on a 32-bit host with --enable-64-bit-bfd too.  That will show
> > more errors.
>
> As I said the last time, it would be really helpful if there were a
> pre-submission checklist somewhere, so that folks could address these
> problems before wasting reviewers' time.  :-(
>
> I'll try again to fix the patches.

Thanks.  I can't say I gave the patches a really thorough review as I
might do for new contributors, but the good news is that I didn't
notice anything obviously wrong in the code itself.

The testsuite fails do need some analysis on your part.
FAIL: ld-elf/merge
FAIL: DT_TEXTREL map file warning
FAIL: pr20995
FAIL: pr20995-2

I haven't looked at why these are failing, but it seems likely the
DT_TEXTREL fail is simply that the csky support isn't up to date with
current binutils.  That one should be easy to fix.

--
Alan Modra
Australia Development Lab, IBM