Re: RFC: Should we have a 2.30.1 point release ?

Hi Carlos,

> What would be the purpose of the release?

  Several:

   * Moving the binutils an inch closer to the "release early,
     release often" principle used by many other free software
     projects.

   * Providing an even better binutils release to be matched
     with the forthcoming gcc v8 release.

   * Get in more practice at making releases. (Especially if I
     can persuade someone else to have a go at making this
     release).

   * Making life easier for distro maintainers who have to patch
     official releases with bug-fixes that are already on the 2.30
     branch.

Not that I am advocating that we have a 2.30.1 release.  I am happy
either way. I just wanted to get a feel from the readers on this list
as to whether they thought that it was a good idea, or just a waste of
time.