Re: dependency list for static libraries

On Tue, 19 Sep 2017, Howard Chu wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestion, but that still means introducing
> additional/auxiliary files, so it has much the same drawback as libtool files.

But it works with the linker itself, without requiring an external tool.

> I also find this particularly gross because it breaks the principle of least
> surprise; when I see a *.a file I expect ar, nm, and ranlib to work on it. I'm
> kind of shocked that such a solution ever flew.

It's just doing what glibc has done with libc.so (a linker script) for a
very long time (decades?).  And libieee.a (removed in glibc 2.27) is/was a
single object file, not an archive, because archive semantics wouldn't
have been right for it (the object needed to be linked in with -lieee,
regardless of whether there were undefined references to any symbol from
it).

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com