Re: dependency list for static libraries

Simon Richter wrote:
Hi,

On 19.09.2017 17:49, Howard Chu wrote:

We often get link errors when switching from dynamic linking to static
linking, because dynamic libraries list all of their own dependency
libraries, and static libraries don't. (And the program being linked
doesn't know about those indirect dependencies.)

That is what libtool's .la files do — these have a list of extra
dependencies to be linked when linking statically.

Libtool files are a poor solution and an additional admin overhead. Not every project uses libtool. Indeed, we only use it when we're creating shared libraries; for a project that only uses static archives nobody bothers with it. This functionality rightfully belongs in the linker itself.

--
  -- Howard Chu