This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [PATCH, RFC] ELF/LD: Always consider STB_LOCAL symbols local
- From: Alan Modra <amodra at gmail dot com>
- To: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro at imgtec dot com>
- Cc: binutils at sourceware dot org
- Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2017 23:39:17 +0930
- Subject: Re: [PATCH, RFC] ELF/LD: Always consider STB_LOCAL symbols local
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <alpine.DEB.firstname.lastname@example.org>
On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 10:26:05AM +0100, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:
> Do not require forced local (STB_LOCAL) symbols to have a definition in
> a regular file to be considered to resolve local to the current module,
> matching `elf_link_renumber_local_hash_table_dynsyms'. In the absence
> of a regular definition any reference to a STB_LOCAL symbol will have to
> be garbage collected along with the undefined symbol itself, or the link
> will eventually fail. Either way the symbol concerned is not going to
> be external.
> * elflink.c (_bfd_elf_symbol_refs_local_p): Always return TRUE
> if forced local.
OK. I can't remember why I put the forced_local test after the
def_regular test in the original code.
Australia Development Lab, IBM