Re: version control policy

On 10 Mar 2017 19:49, Petr Ovtchenkov wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Mar 2017 15:15:05 +0100 Tristan Gingold wrote:
> > > On 08 Mar 2017, at 19:41, Petr Ovtchenkov wrote:
> > > - What the principles of branches? I.e. what the relation between,
> > >  say, master,   and gdb-7.12-branch?
> >
> > Branches are created from master.
>
> Do you really see on commits graph?

sorry, but what does this mean ?

> Because binutils and gdb share repo and build infrastructure,
> but has no clean code exchange between gdb/binutils branches,
> what gdb will build when I make build from, say, e2e9a61f5b29 ?

both projects share the master branch, and it's up to each project
to choose when to branch based on their own release schedule.

giving a random commit doesn't make much sense in the git world.
what branch are you looking at ?

> > >  What the relation between binutils-2_28-branch and published
> > >  binutils 2.28, gdb-7.12-branch and published GDB 7.12.1?
> >
> > Published releases are created from branches.  Usually, there is also a tag on the commit for the
> > release.
>
> Well, gdb team set labels. Looks, that binutils team prefer branches instead.

there's no such thing as "labels" in git.  Tristan is correct:
both projects create release branches, and then they tag their
releases from those branches when they're ready.

> And both teams push to master on daily development basis, right?

correct
-mike