Re: RFH: Annotating ELF binaries

On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 8:22 AM, Nick Clifton <nickc@redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi Tristan,
>
>>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Toolchain/Watermark#Markup_for_ELF_objects
>
>> This will generalise attributes used by some architectures (ppc, arm), won't it ?
>
> Yes.  Or at least it would if implemented as currently proposed.  Maybe a better
> solution would be to only record attributes where they are not already covered by
> some target specific solution.
>
> Personally I would prefer a nice, generalised solution, but the current target
> specific attributes are mandated by the particular ABIs and so presumably are not
> going to go away.
>
> Cheers
>   Nick

We have 2 different proposals for program properties.  Mine:

https://sourceware.org/ml/gnu-gabi/2016-q4/msg00025.html

has a much smaller scope.  New features on upcoming Intel platforms,
like 5-level paging, need this extension for loader decision at run-time.
How should we move forward with program property extensions?

--
H.J.