Why “relocation truncated to fit”?

I think the wording of these error messages is not particularly
helpful.  “Truncated to fit” implies that the operation was somehow
successful.  But as far as I can tell, this is always a hard error (and
I can't see what would be possible otherwise).

It would also be nice to include information about the bits in the
relocation and the value which could not be encoded.  Perhaps this would
error: R_MIPS_GOT_DISP cannot express relocation against `base_GHCziNum_zp_entry'
note: Required value is 284940, but only 16 bits are available to encode it