Re: git problems/question

if these two commands produce the same hash, then you're right.
However genuine merging is rarely the best way to go, even if they do:

git rev-parse binutils-2_23-branchpoint
git merge-base 2.23.2 2.27

If they don't, investigate why.

Did you try cherry picking? Or building on the genuine merge-base and rebasing?

Genuine merging is saying "my end result should be a combination of
these two end results", and saying that when one of your "end results"
is a vastly earlier version of the other with relatively minor
patches, is probably not a good idea.