Re: Deprecating and removing old targets

On 9/12/2016 6:58 AM, Oleg Endo wrote:
On Mon, 2016-09-12 at 09:37 +0200, Tristan Gingold wrote:

* all a.out targets
* all NetWare targets (nlm)
* all ecoff targets (alpha and mips)
* very old cpus: m88k, ns32k, i960, appolo, w65, we32k, pc532
* very old os: sunos-4, irix, sco, newsos, OSF, risc-ix
* very old formats: ieee-695, xsym, ppcboot, pef

I may forget some of them...

Targets I think we should keep:
* vax
* z80
* pdp11
* m68k, m68xx

I don't think these two should have been lumped together.
The m68k covers m68k and Coldfire. I think with Freescale
now being part of NXP, I am not sure if any Coldfire part
is recommended for new designs or not but they are out
there and projects will be using them for a long time.

From an RTEMS perspective, we have users still hanging
on to m68040 VMEBus boards. As long as there is a NIC,
the boards are still useful and paid for in at least some
national labs. They have them and use them.

the m68xx's I recall were 8 bit parts although I think
some are 16.

* hppa
* alpha (elf, vms)
* dlx