Cannot autoreconf binutils 2.26

Hi,
I am trying to add a new architecture to Binutils 2.26. I have edited the
various configure.ac files (along with the other required files) and try to
run autoreconf in the main directory and in the bfd, ld, opcodes and gas
subdirectories. My native version of autoconf is 2.69, but I have built
version 2.64 after being prompted for the specific version when running in
the autoreconf in the main directory. After this, autoreconf works in the
main directory, but I cannot get it to work in the subdirectories.

When I run autoreconf with version 2.64 it complains that autoreconf version
2.65 or higher is required. See the log:
	configure.ac:28: error: Autoconf version 2.65 or higher is required
	/usr/share/aclocal-1.15/init.m4:29: AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE is expanded
from...
	configure.ac:28: the top level
	autom4te: /usr/bin/m4 failed with exit status: 63
	aclocal: error: echo failed with exit status: 63
	autoreconf: aclocal failed with exit status: 63

If I try to run autoreconf with my native installation (2.69) I get prompted
to use version 2.64:
	configure.ac:22: error: Please use exactly Autoconf 2.64 instead of
2.69.
	../config/override.m4:12: _GCC_AUTOCONF_VERSION_CHECK is expanded
from...
	configure.ac:22: the top level
	autom4te: /usr/bin/m4 failed with exit status: 1
	aclocal: error: echo failed with exit status: 1
	autoreconf: aclocal failed with exit status: 1

I cannot figure out how to get around this. Am I doing something wrong? Can
you help me?

Best regards,
 Jesper