Re: gnu-gabi group (Was: Re: Linux-abi group)

On 11-Feb-2016 09:55 PM, H.J. Lu wrote:
On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 8:05 AM, Suprateeka R Hegde
<hegdesmailbox@gmail.com> wrote:
On 11-Feb-2016 07:21 PM, H.J. Lu wrote:

On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 2:26 AM, Suprateeka R Hegde
<hegdesmailbox@gmail.com> wrote:

H.J,

I think we are fragmenting with too many standards and mailing lists.
This
new discussion group and eventually the resulting standards, all might be
put under LSB http://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/lsb.shtml

The Intro on LSB says:

http://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/LSB_5.0.0/LSB-Core-generic/LSB-Core-generic/elfintro.html

And thats what this proposal is intended for.

And we can use the LSB mailing list
https://lists.linux-foundation.org/mailman/listinfo/lsb-discuss for all
discussions.

What do you think?

LSB lists extensions which have been implemented.  But it isn't a spec
you can use to implement them.  For example:

http://refspecs.linuxbase.org/LSB_3.1.0/LSB-Core-generic/LSB-Core-generic/progheader.html

lists PT_GNU_EH_FRAME, PT_GNU_STACK and PT_GNU_RELRO.
But it gives no details.  Linux ABI group is the place where we propose
extensions before they get implemented.

How to implement, according to me, is design details of a particular
product. It also depends on the language used to develop the product.
Standards, in most cases, are not tied to a language and hence do not
enforce implementation details.

That is exactly what Linux ABI group tries to address.  Please see
the Linux gABI extension draft at

https://github.com/hjl-tools/linux-abi/wiki/Linux-Extensions-to-gABI

It describes the conventions and constraints on the implementa-
tion of these extensions for interoperability between various tools.

(I suddenly see the subject changed to gnu-gabi from linux-abi. If I missed any e-mail in the transition, my apologies.)

Why should it re-describe or repeat what already exists in LSB. For instance, the Exception Handling Framework? http://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/LSB_5.0.0/LSB-Core-generic/LSB-Core-generic/ehframechpt.html

I understand that the forum (an exclusive gABI discussion group) is not there in LSB. That matches with what you have created. But the resulting standards document is already there in LSB.

Am I missing anything very obvious?