Re: Can the automatic daily update commits be stopped, take 2

On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 5:37 AM, Joel Brobecker <brobecker@adacore.com> wrote:
>> > Which release tags do you have in mind, and what do we need to do
>> > to fix them?
>>
>> Just make them annotated instead of lightweight (see git-tag(1)).  Even
>> better if they are signed.
>
> GDB release tags have been both annotated and signed ever since
> someone (was it you?) asked me about it.
>
> AFAICT, Binutils release tags are also annotated (but not signed).
>
> You'll need to be more precise about what's still not working
> for you. In particular, I don't think the signing makes any difference
> to git-describe.

My concerns are

1. Someone downloads a tar ball and builds it.   "ld --version" should
be able to
tell at least the date when the tar ball was made.
2. Someone checks out a branch,  makes some changes, checks into his/her
branch and builds it,  "ld --version" should be able to tell the date
when the branch
was taken.

--
H.J.