Re: [msp430-elf] Dwarf line numbers not being encoded properly?

On Wed, 27 Jan 2016 13:35:29 -0500
Orlando Arias <orlandoarias@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am not sure if this is the proper place to ask, but I have been
> playing with the msp430-elf port of gcc/binutils/newlib/gdb and I have
> been presenting an issue for a while now. Last September, I e-mailed the
> GDB mailing list but the message went largely ignored. The bug report I
> filed with GDB went ignored as well and remains open. To be honest, I am
> not sure if the issue is with GDB, binutils or gcc, but GDB is unable to
> read dwarf line numbers from binaries generated by binutils. When asking
> about it in the GDB IRC channel, I was told it was because there was
> some conflicting information on how these symbols were generated.
> readelf is able to correctly identify the symbols because it uses a
> different algorithm from GDB when reading them.

Hi Orlando,

This problem can be fixed in at least two different ways.  At the moment,
I'm testing a change to gas.

The other approach is to make GDB read addresses associated with line
numbers in a manner similar to that used by readelf.  I looked at doing
this one time, but that complicated the code more than I found to be
acceptable at the time.

I hope to post a patch for this problem later today.

Kevin