Re: PPC64 GOT alignment trouble

On 20/10/15 01:09, Alan Modra wrote:
No, the main difference is that you have a powerpc-linux target while
I have powerpc64-linux.  Your binutils has support for
powerpc64-linux, but I doubt you are testing powerpc64-linux.

OK, so having figured out that my test scripts don't do what I thought they did for the ld testsuite, I find that, yes, this warning breaks a number of architecture independent test cases that use linker scripts with no alignments defined.

However ... this is not a surprise: this is exactly the sort of thing I was trying to detect, because this is exactly the sort of thing I got bitten doing.

This is a problem because the testsuite needs to work, and yet avoiding some inconvenience in the testsuite seems like a poor justification for pulling the rug from under real users. But there isn't an obvious fix for the testsuite besides editing all the scripts, and that may not be safe.

Confused now.

Andrew