This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [PATCH] PR ld/18329: Turn off PROTECTED visibility with -Bsymbolic
- From: Alan Modra <amodra at gmail dot com>
- To: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>
- Cc: binutils at sourceware dot org
- Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2015 09:16:09 +0930
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] PR ld/18329: Turn off PROTECTED visibility with -Bsymbolic
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20150425214638 dot GA13278 at gmail dot com>
On Sat, Apr 25, 2015 at 02:46:38PM -0700, H.J. Lu wrote:
> If a global protected symbol is bound locally by -Bsymbolic, there is no
> need to keep protected visibility which hich may have overhead at run-time.
For this change to be safe you'd need to show that all ELF targets
supporting dynamic objects also properly support -Bsymbolic for both
functions and variables. ie. that none emit dynamic relocations for
the symbol when -Bsymbolic.
Australia Development Lab, IBM