This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [PATCH] Put GNU_UNIQUE symbols into the dynamic section.
- From: Cary Coutant <ccoutant at gmail dot com>
- To: Paul Pluzhnikov <ppluzhnikov at google dot com>
- Cc: Ian Coolidge <icoolidge at google dot com>, Binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>, kmackay at google dot com, Han Shen <shenhan at google dot com>
- Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 13:14:11 -0700
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] Put GNU_UNIQUE symbols into the dynamic section.
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <1429255182-11847-1-git-send-email-icoolidge at google dot com> <CAJimCsFyNXziWQBTuxfpnYxKuOvV8tg21_VbduCJhNbMcsTBJw at mail dot gmail dot com> <CALoOobP4Fc1pmRjt-=2qNEoVkzfNzy-x6bnjsV9eNbpgUT_tiw at mail dot gmail dot com>
>> Gold has a --no-gnu-unique option that converts STB_GNU_UNIQUE to
>> STB_GLOBAL while writing the dynamic symbol table. This was to work
>> around an issue with older dynamic loaders.
> Older loaders are not at all the reason for this flag:
Oh, yeah, forgot about that (should have searched instead of relying
on my poor memory!). That, however, was the second time that
STB_GNU_UNIQUE had caused problems; I think the first time really was
because we had a loader that didn't understand the binding at all, but
that reason probably has fallen by the wayside.