Re: Enable 0x10 alignment for aarch64 symbols as is done for x86_64

Dear Mr. Coutant,

Essentially, code fill is the difference between when compiling for
x86 and aarch64. I need the process to be the same so that the
binaries are as similar as possible for my main goal of symbol
alignment. For now I am creating a linker script that performs  . =
ALIGN(0x10) for the symbols I am interested in making sure that they
are aligned on the aarch64 side of linking.

Update: You were correct about trying -fno-common! I checked nm for
the object and __args_for_foo was indeed a C (common) symbol. Once I
added -fno-common to the compiler, gold did follow my linker script to
do
. = ALIGN(0x10) on the aarch64 side just like is already done by x86
by the compiler.
You are also correct about aarch64 performing code relaxation
(convert_input_sections_to_relaxed_sections in output.cc) as opposed
to x86 not calling this function

Though, if it is possible though it would be much better if I could
force this into the compiler itself (for the aarch64 linking to do the
0x10 code fill) instead of through a linker script so I'm still
looking into the add_input_section function and do_write, though from
my output it seems do write seems to happen near the end. I'm still
fairly new to digging this deep into gold to accomplish my goals.
Thanks for the help so far!

Sincerely,

Chris