This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: Enable 0x10 alignment for aarch64 symbols as is done for x86_64
- From: K Jski <bielsk1 at vt dot edu>
- To: Cary Coutant <ccoutant at gmail dot com>
- Cc: Binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>, Antonio Barbalace <antoniob at vt dot edu>
- Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 17:53:27 -0400
- Subject: Re: Enable 0x10 alignment for aarch64 symbols as is done for x86_64
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CAH=yU0YozLe6hgeQK_1ni8CWT9Na6U2WV3GYgFE-moq46DEqfQ at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAJimCsHhQfsTh4GnzAajB_P5foDxew9utz606T=0z8sLQ1eGew at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAH=yU0YLyuR72bQwQZ6Zw4OvkMj3wZOc_bmBeV_6xAju=r+NCQ at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAH=yU0bDBTzPUQssERB=THs-6HzH1Q2SmAtzgzH2bJ+i9ofzYA at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAJimCsGDiYipS4fzAJaWBg77QHc1_SbXQGH0Q_Wu6-FARB7bfA at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAH=yU0YcrNWUN=K9xD6Dg8uAZ=hA5H6WE+gOZ-e82iSAzT5NyA at mail dot gmail dot com>
Another more direct question is:
Where are code fill sections inserted? At what point are this->table_
elements put into the Output_section::Input_section object that has
access via "this->input_sections()"
There are no relo's in my code, i am linking statically also btw.
On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 5:15 PM, K Jski <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> and if I have set has_code_fill in aarch64.cc to true already and am
> getting the same result?
> On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 5:12 PM, Cary Coutant <email@example.com> wrote:
>>> b) this filler section that has the perfect size to make the next real
>>> section/symbol be 0x10 aligned
>>> u2_.posd shndx:-1, addr:0x40047b fileoffset:0x47b
>>> Output_data set_address_and_file_offset addr:0x40047b off:0x47b
>>> data_size:0x5 off:0x47b
>>> after update off:0x480
>>> where out_aarch64.txt does not have any of these extra padding sections
>> These are code fill sections. The Target::Target_info structure for
>> x86_64 sets has_code_fill to true, so that any inserted padding within
>> a text section gets filled with NOPs. For aarch64, has_code_fill is
>> set to false, so there are no such sections.