Re: PATCH: Compress debug sections for Linux/x86 by default

> On 09 Jan 2015, at 04:49, H.J. Lu <hjl.tools@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 7:40 PM, Joel Brobecker <brobecker@adacore.com> wrote:
>>> This feature is very generic and should work for all ELF targets.
>>> Is there anyone who can make a decision to enable it for all ELF
>>> targets by default?
>>
>> Not necessarily any ONE, but the group of Global Maintainers for
>> the binutils project?
>>

> Among global maintainers, Nick and Alan are the most active ones.  I
> CCed them here.
>
> Nick, Alan, should we enable compressed debug section in
> assembler for all ELF targets?  If not all ELF targets, should we
> enable it for all Linux targets?

I am not sure that enabling compression for all ELF targets is a good
idea.  There are many debuggers other than GDB that don't know yet
how to handle compressed debug section.

I would say this doesn't apply directly to Linux, but I am also sure
there are many tools using debug info that don't know how to deal
with compressed sections.

Maybe it would be simpler if the default were controlled by gcc.

Tristan.