Re: PATCH: Compress debug sections for Linux/x86 by default

On Thu, 8 Jan 2015, H.J. Lu wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 8:18 AM, Thomas Schwinge <thomas@codesourcery.com> wrote:
> > Hi!

> >> Sure, someone can contribute a patch.
> >
> > I don't like this attitude very much.  We should strive to be a bit more
> > cooperative within our own community, at least.  As Joseph says, there is
> > no reason to restrict this change -- which, as Joel has pointed out, has
> > not been discussed/reviewed/approved before -- to x86 GNU/Linux only.
>
> It is next to impossible to get agreements for all targets.
> It is better to start from somewhere.  Each target maintainer
> should make his/her own decision.

My point is that agreement for all targets is not what we want anyway.
We should make a decision for the GNU system (or for ELF targets in
general) and then apply that to all targets that are part of the GNU
system (i.e. all with GNU userspace) (or for ELF targets in general).  If
an OS maintainer thinks it's bad for their OS, don't enable it there, but
enabling / disabling on a per-architecture (as opposed to per-OS) basis
doesn't make sense without a compelling justification.  And we don't have
many OS maintainers.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com