This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: Retry powerpc gold stub grouping when groups prove too large
- From: Markus Trippelsdorf <markus at trippelsdorf dot de>
- To: Cary Coutant <ccoutant at google dot com>, Binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2014 10:11:56 +0100
- Subject: Re: Retry powerpc gold stub grouping when groups prove too large
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CAHACq4rr8Z6bKL74tmunhwZYUJx1s6md=+0vg5+oWVDjNr84bA at mail dot gmail dot com> <20141120111444 dot GB4477 at bubble dot grove dot modra dot org> <CAHACq4o9xRNgZ+ddfabhh_GTQU7AjcE0aydeU70JQ91cfThBHQ at mail dot gmail dot com> <20141126025831 dot GP4477 at bubble dot grove dot modra dot org>
On 2014.11.26 at 13:28 +1030, Alan Modra wrote:
> * powerpc.cc (struct Stub_table_owner): New.
> (Powerpc_relobj): Rename stub_table_ to stub_table_index_, an
> unsigned int vector. Update all references.
> (powerpc_relobj::set_stub_table): Take an unsigned int param
> rather than a Stub_table. Update callers.
> (Powerpc_relobj::clear_stub_table): New function.
> (Target_powerpc): Add relax_failed_, relax_fail_count_ and
> stub_group_size_ vars.
> (Target_powerpc::new_stub_table): Delete.
> (max_branch_delta): New function, extracted from..
> (Target_powerpc::Relocate::relocate): ..here..
> (Target_powerpc::Branch_info::make_stub): ..and here. Return
> status on whether stub created successfully.
> (Stub_control::Stub_control): Add "no_size_errors" param. Move
> default sizing to..
> (Target_powerpc::do_relax): ..here. Init stub_group_size_ and
> reduce on relax failure.
> (Target_powerpc::group_sections): Add "no_size_errors" param.
> Use stub_group_size_. Set up group info in a temp vector,
> before building Stub_table vector. Account for input sections
> possibly already converted to relaxed sections.
> (Stub_table::init): Delete. Merge into..
> (Stub_table::Stub_table): ..here.
> (Stub_table::can_reach_stub): New function.
> (Stub_table::add_plt_call_entry): Add "from" parameter and
> return true iff stub could be reached.
> (Stub_table::add_long_branch_entry): Similarly. Add "r_type"
> param too.
> (Stub_table::clear_stubs): Add "all" param.
When building the Linux kernel one gets many messages like:
ld: stub group size is too large; retrying with 22020096
ld: stub group size is too large; retrying with 16515072
Do they really convey any useful information to the user?
They look more like leftover debugging messages to me.