Re: Synchronizing Binutils and GDB releases

On 18 Aug 2014, at 17:31, Nicholas Clifton <nickc@redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi Tristan, Hi Joel,
>
>  What do you think to the idea of synchronizing GDB and BINUTILS releases ?

I understand the packager point of view and I am not against that idea.

But, I think this can make sense only if both projects are merged, with only one release manager (team), with only one team of maintainers.  Otherwise I am afraid of misunderstanding and delays during release periods.

As a fact, very few peoples are active on both projects, so I am not sure if hackers want to unify both projects.

Maybe the binutils team can try to simply 'qualify' the gdb releases: testing the prerelease and fixing regression.  That would be lighter.

Tristan.