Re: [Patch] Gas support for MIPS Compact EH

"Moore, Catherine" <Catherine_Moore@mentor.com> writes:
> [...]

Yes, or more specifically: the assembler was sometimes associating
R_MIPS_EH with a specific encoding type, even though we don't know
at assembly time what encoding is associated with R_MIPS_EH.

> You said:
> RS>  Or, to put it another way, why are we making the choice between
> RS> R_MIPS_PC32 and R_MIPS_EH at assembly time in mips_cfi_emit_expr,
> RS> but not in mips_cfi_fix_eh_ref, even though the patch appears to
> RS> allow the same two encodings in both casees?
>
> I'd like to take this approach in the next patch:
> 1. Keep the R_MIPS_EH relocation
> 2. Let the linker choose the appropriate encoding
> 3. Clean up the assembler inconsistencies

That's OK with me, but just to clarify: (3) IMO means that R_MIPS_EH
is never associated with a specific encoding in the assembler.  I.e.
R_MIPS_EH is purely for an as-yet unknown encoding that is chosen by
the linker rather than the assembler or the assembly author.  And AIUI
the only place that happens is in .eh_frame_entry.

Perhaps one way of doing that would to have a generic
BFD_RELOC_EH_FRAME_HDR_32 that R_MIPS_EH maps to.  Then when emitting the
.eh_frame_entry addresses, the assembler unconditionally uses that BFD_RELOC_
rather than a target hook.

What do you plan to do for .ehword?  Since the assembler generates
the .eh_frame_entry itself, and since R_MIPS_EH should only be used
there (since that's the only place where the linker controls the encoding),
I don't think there are any valid uses of an R_MIPS_EH-producing .ehword.

> This would also mean dropping the .forcegpword directive as you suggested.

My problem with .forcegpword was more that the GP base isn't a DSO-wide
value, it's only local to the input object.  So IMO dropping it (which is fine)
is separate from whether to keep R_MIPS_EH.  I assume if we drop it then
the only supported LSDA encoding will be pcrel and pcrel|indirect,
at least for now?

Thanks,
Richard