Re: small request regarding commits in binutils-gdb.git

On Wednesday 15 January 2014 15:38:50 Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org>
> > Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 15:02:07 -0500
> > Cc: gdb-patches@sourceware.org,
> >
> >  Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>,
> >  Joel Brobecker <brobecker@adacore.com>,
> >  binutils <binutils@sourceware.org>
> >
> > there's no reason the dist steps can't autogenerate a full ChangeLog
> > from git history and throw it into the tarball.  it's what other GNU
> > projects are doing now (like coreutils).
>
> If we are going to generate ChangeLog files, this discussion is still
> relevant, since the text needs to be formatted according to ChangeLog
> rules.

not necessarily.  there's two options:
	- just use `git log --stat` and pipe it into a ChangeLog.  this isn't a
"GNU ChangeLog", but it is a ChangeLog
	- use the abbreviated commit messages that the tools rely on to create a
GNU ChangeLog format

obviously i'd prefer the first, but i can live with the second.  it's still way
better than hand maintaining ChangeLog files themselves.
-mike